Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Rose by Any Other Name

Hey all. Let's get things started with the question I know is on everyone's mind. Yes Buffy is my real name. No is is not short for anything. No I am NOT named for the Vampire Slayer.  

Growing up I hated my name. Imagine being a Buffy in a sea of Shannons, Amys, and Tracys. Maybe that is why, to this day, I hate standing out. I am much more content to just hang back and blend in. Yet, despite this trait, I was also blessed with a pretty well-defined sense of humor. Maybe it was God's way of leveling the score. "I shall give thee a strange name that everyone will not believe is your real name, but I shall also giveth thee a twisted sense of humor. Enjoy, my child"  

What's worse is that I in no way, shape, or form resemble someone who should be named Buffy. I lack the long, blond hair and the cheerleader build. I do not have a trust fund or have any friends named Muffy or Biff. I cannot bring down vampires with just a swift kick and a smile. Man, I was SO jipped.

But despite all of my complaining I cannot imagine being named anything else, though that is another question I am often asked. I cannot picture myself as one of those named Shannon, Amy, or Tracy. (No offense to anyone named that.) I guess over the years I have come to identify myself as my name and to think of myself with a different moniker would just seem wrong. I am Buffy, just not the one who slays vampires. Sorry, she lives in Sunnydale.

-The other Buffy

2 comments: